There is A LOT going on in this show and it’s very easy to miss something that could be important. Since I have little else to do besides rewatch and think about Wynonna Earp, I thought I would offer up this kind of “cheat sheet”. It’s broken down into two main sections, first a look at the specific episode, the second part is kind of a deep dive into mysteries and clues surrounding all the main characters and entities.
Disclaimer: Nothing included in this post should be taken as absolute fact. Even information that I took directly from the show is stated as I see it and is in no way endorsed by anyone officially linked to the show.
Brief recap of 3×06: Merry Earpmas
*Fun fact, I’ve known since February that there was going to be a Christmas episode and that Waverly was going to get dressed up and sing for Nicole and I can’t believe the day finally came.
It’s Christmas in Purgatory and our team is festive AF. Mama wants to give her girls the Christmas they’ve all missed out on for so many years. Unfortunately, this is still Purgatory and bad shit is going to happen no matter whose birthday it is, so there’s some rescuing that needs to happen before everyone can enjoy their dinner.
Bulshart has been holding a grudge for over a century against all the families that lived in Purgatory and “allowed” him to be entombed by Wyatt Earp. Since his plan to have the Vampires deliver the original families to him failed, he starts taking matters into his own hands…his own trees. He’s collecting them in what looks like a slightly less scary dentist’s office than I’m used to and turning them into more creepy trees I guess.
There’s a newer new guy hanging around, and honestly I already have so many questions, comments, and concerns about Charlie Fire-Services that I had to add him to my cast-of-characters down below. Anyway, Charlie is eager to be on Team Wynonna and helps her rescue the folks Bulshar has been kidnapping.
Among the rescued group is Robin, who totally didn’t ghost Jeremy. Robin’s fate is still up in the air though because he appears to have already ingested the evil green smoothie.
Wynonna tells Waverly what Bobo told her about Waverly’s father and Waverly demands answers from Mama, who I have to mention doesn’t confirm nor deny that Julian was/is an angel. What we do learn from Mama is that Bobo was there in the Greenhouse the night Waverly was born. Bobo’s version of events paints him as Waverly’s savior, who after learning that the baby Michelle had just given birth to was his Waverly, his angel, took the newborn to Ward demanding that Ward care for the child or Bobo would kill him. Check further down for more about what we’ve learned about Michelle/Julian/Bobo/Waverly.
Doc isn’t feeling the love from Wynonna and like, can you blame her for not wanting to put herself out there? I mean, dude, she just found out that your wife is in town. Anyway, Doc needs to be needed and even if Wynonna did need him, she would never tell him that. And since he has the emotional maturity of a turnip he chooses the quickest way to have his needs met and goes back to Kate after some pouting at the Christmas dinner table. Kate tells him what he wants to hear most, then she offers a solution to his other problem and consequences be damned, becoming a vampire is the quickest way to rid himself of his pesky mortality so he tells her to turn him.
Wayhaught? They’re pretty much just doing it a lot this episode. They’re doing it loudly and they’re doing it in festive costumes and I can’t stop thinking of dirty comments stemming from the phrase “Christmas came early this year”.
One last thing, our poor sweet grumpus Sheriff Nedley is fucking spent and tells Nicole that he’s retiring, his intention clearly being that she will succeed him as Sheriff. Waverly is super proud of her little elf and already started referring to her as “Sheriff Nicole Haught” because it’s Christmas and no one has time to explain that that isn’t how becoming Sheriff works.
Gems You May Have Missed:
- Robin saved Jeremy in his phone as “Jeremy Cutemurdertree”.
- When Wynonna shows up to give the blood sample to Jeremy, Doc is on a fucking tablet drawing what appears to be himself and some hearts.
- I don’t know if this really counts as a “gem”, but it bugs me and I need to point it out. When Jeremy is being sarcastic about doing a work-up on the blood he says “blood SPLATTER analyst”, but they’re actually called “blood SPATTER analyst”, didn’t he watch Dexter?
- When Wynonna is on the phone with Waverly, Charlie tries to introduce himself to Jeremy and Doc and Doc refuses to shake his hand because his is all bandaged. Use your other hand Doc, you petty little man-child.
- The kid that was taken is a McBlake, Waverly mentions that they were originally prospectors. Later, Bulshar refers to Robin as “Jett, the milliner”. A milliner is “someone who designs or makes hats, especially women’s hats”. So that’s twice this episode that the occupation of the first families has been brought up.
- Doc’s face when Jeremy accidentally brings up Bulshar’s junk is priceless.
- I don’t know if this is intentional or not, but you can see Kate’s breath when she talks inside of the Gardner house, but not Doc’s or Wynonna’s.
- Charlie telling Wynonna that he has a “big hose” isn’t just overly forward flirting, they apparently climbed down the hose to get into the bunker of horrors.
- Wynonna stole a can of cranberry sauce from the Sheriff Dept food drive, and honestly, I support it. You can’t have Christmas dinner without that delicious, still-in-the-shape-of-can goop.
- Nicole’s face when she thinks that Nedley’s big speech was just to promote her to Santa is the most pure thing I’ve ever seen.
- Waverly uses a fork and a knife to eat…at least to eat peas.
Bonus: This exchange between Mel and Kat was the fucking highlight of the episode for me.
Answers to questions you may have:
- Here’s my take on the angel in the greenhouse, I really don’t think it’s actually Julian, it just seems far too obvious and silly, but who knows. I also think it’s the same angel in the credits because it only has one wing and the angel in the credits is a lady angel so…I’m just not on board with this theory.
Questions that I don’t know the answer to and it bothers me:
- Why isn’t Doc wearing the ring this episode? Where is the damn ring?
- Why hasn’t Nicole seemed to notice or care that the ring went missing after it burned Jolene?
- What exactly are the evil beekeepers? Peacemaker didn’t glow when Wynonna was shooting them.
- Is anyone looking for Michelle? Like…she’s still an escaped convict right? Did this all get cleared up?
- The reappearance of a firefighter brings up a few questions in and of itself, like…were all the guys that Dolls firebombed last season the last of The Order? Is everyone in The Order a firefighter? How did they exist in the Fire Department without everyone knowing that they were beheading people there?
It’s not fair that you’re always elf-cast.
Well, that’s not canon.
I guess the menstruangel can go back in my box.
I’m vegan. – You’re already a lesbian.
I passed the Bechdel test with flying colors. A whole rainbow of them.
Uh, huge dick…He IS a huge dick. I don’t know about his size…down there. – He’s probably an innie.
I wasn’t ghosted, my date was just kidnapped by Bulshar, maybe! Huzzah.
Merry Christmas ya filthy animals.
Who you talking to? – I’m not sure.
The Big Picture
My attempt at the timeline:
- Bulshar entomed: approx 130 years ago
- Wyatt died: 1929
- Willa Born: 1987
- Wynonna Born: 1988*
- Waverly “Born”: Sept 8 1994*
- Nicole survives Cult of Bulshar Massacre in the GRT: 1996
- Mama left: 1999**
- Attack on the homestead: May 2000
- Wynonna comes of age: 2015*
*What we know for sure is that the attack was in 2000 and that Wynonna was 12 and Waverly was 6 when it happened. Keep in mind when doing the math, that Emily wrote the pilot in 2015. It all falls apart if you try to use the air date for the math. Also, because the month someone is born can mess up the math, this is all kind of give or take a year.
**The original line was that Waverly was 4 when Mama Earp left, making me think it was two-ish years before the attack, but in 3×01 Wynonna says that Mama had only been gone six months when the Homestead was attacked.
Season Three Credits Breakdown:
- Angel with one wing in an old cemetery. Surrounded by several dead looking trees. When we zoom in the the angel is wrapped up by a large snake.
– BOOM! It’s finally confirmed (if you consider Bobo trustworthy), Waverly’s father was an angel. The angel in the credits has one wing. Could this be because Waverly is only HALF angel? Also, my theory is that the snake wrapped around the angel signifies “Jolene”, the demon that was born out of a need for balance.
- More ugly trees, the biggest one in the forefront has half a face
– It’s because Bulshar is turning people (and Vampires) into murder trees.
Main players: What we know about what we don’t know
Most of this will be things that were shown or stated in the show, however I am including theories that I feel strongly about, those theories with be in italics. Anything that was added since the last post will be in bold.
Mama Earp aka Michelle Gibson:
- Former rodeo star.
- Spent nearly 20 years in prison, accused of trying to kill Waverly when she burned down the barn with Waverly in it.
- Was never trying to kill Waverly, she was trying to exorcise a demon that was after Waverly. She ended up binding the demon to herself and lived with it tormenting her the entire time.
- The demon talked to her about Bulshar.
- Used to run to the Gibson’s greenhouse to escape Ward, she was often met there by Julian, who is Waverly’s father.
- Is not happy that Bobo told Waverly about the night she was born. I take this to mean she is keeping some secrets that she doesn’t want her girls to know. I wonder if she let Bobo out so that Waverly wouldn’t know where to find him to get more answers.
- I STILL refuse to believe that it’s a coincidence that Mama Earp and the Widows wore the same perfume (I don’t know how to spell it…Shalotel?).
– Most of the mystery surrounding Wynonna has to do with the years she was away from Purgatory and doesn’t seem like it’s going to have much of an implication on the show (I’ve heard it’s explored more in the comics).
- Earp heir
- Great hair
- Mama specifically wanted to make sure Wynonna could survive by herself.
- Was born in the greenhouse on the Gibson farm.
- Her father’s name was Julian and per Michelle he was “someone better”. According to Bobo, Julian was a literal angel, making Waverly half ANGEL!
- I’m going to quote exactly what Kate said about the tarot card she pulled for Waverly: “Temperance. The angel card, balance and moderation, but it’s upside down. Lack of long-term vision.”… “She’s something alright.”
- Bobo referred to her as “kin”.
- Promised to Bulshar by Bobo.
- Alleged Angel. Still only have Bobo’s word to go on regarding WHAT he was/is, as Mama neither confirms nor denies it.
- Disappeared the night Waverly was born.
- Bobo refers to him as “missing for some”.
John Henry Doc Holliday:
Like Dolls, there are plenty of questions, but I’m not going to dig TOO deep unless I think it’s going to have an impact on the show in the near (this season) future
- Has a wife named Kate dating back to his pre-well days. Regardless he still talks about Wyatt as if they were soulmates
- Went to hell when he died in the AU. Is super emo about it.
- Is a vampire now…I guess.
- Black Badge “did stuff” to him as well.
- has some kind of psychic* abilities, likely stemming from an accident he and his mother were in when he was a kid.
*maybe not the right word, but they shown times where he knew things that it didn’t make sense for him to know, like that “Wayhaught” needed Doc to meet the baby or when his groin told him Doc was alive.
- Feels like she is “supposed” to be in Purgatory. Feels like she has been in Purgatory before.
- Dolls picked her to keep Bulshar’s ring safe. She did a terrible job.
- Only survivor of an attack linked to the Cult of Bulshar, carried out by Beret Demon (killed by Dolls in 3×02). During the attack she “somehow” got down to the river and “someone” saved her. She was in the GRT with her aunt and uncle for a music festival. The incident was covered up by Black Badge and officially ruled a forest fire.
- Wants to be Santa.
Bobo Del Rey aka Robert Svane:
- Was a good guy and close friend to Wyatt before he became a revenant.
- Was part of Black Badge.
- Can telepathically move metal objects, including Peacemaker.
- Was there the night Waverly was born. Took the baby to Ward and threatened his life if he didn’t care for the child, his angel.
Kate aka Katalin aka Countessa:
- Has been a Vampire since the day she and Doc met.
- Doc’s wife dating back to his pre-well days, told about his immortality by Wyatt. Says that when she heard he had “arisen” she knew she had to do “whatever it takes” to find him.
- Had her friend Sally pose as the outlaw Big Nose Kate because Vampires can’t be captured on film.
- Really interested in Team Wynonna.
- Is aware of the supernatural presence in Purgatory AND knows that Peacemaker can ID demons.
- Seemed like this wasn’t his first time killing stuff.
- When Wynonna thanks him for the help he says “No problem, it’s what I do”. Wynonna takes this to mean saving people in general, but it seems a little specific to killing demonic things and saving people from becoming trees…ok maybe not that last part, but I don’t think this was his first Demon Rodeo.
- Bluntline Special that Wyatt Earp used to put down 77 “outlaws”.
- Only weapon that will send the revenants back to hell.
- Can only be fired by the current Earp Heir.
- Cannot be handled by a demon without burning the shit out of them.
- Glows orange when aimed at a demon. My theory about it glowing orange in 2×12 when Wynonna pointed it at Doc is that it knew the bullet was meant for the widows. Another possibility is that Doc’s time spent in hell was enough to make Peacemaker see him as a demon/Rev.
- Glowed blue for the first time when Wynonna used it to kill Willa.
- Glowed blue for the second time when Waverly pointed it at Rosita and Wynonna ordered it to fire, grazing Rosita.
Bulshar/ Cult of Bulshar:
- Entombed for over 130 years ( I know I should know the exact time, but I can’t find it).
- Turns people (and vampires) into creepy trees.
- Specifically wants decedents of the Original Families of Purgatory because he’s mad at them for letting him be defeated by Wyatt.
- There have been massacres linked to the Cult of Bulshar every 7 years since at least the 1920s. BBD file started in 1926, but the massacres were likely happening before that. It appears that Beret Demon was carrying out massacres on Bulshar’s behalf, but the possibility exists that he wasn’t the only one.
- Wants his ring back. The ring that healed a rotting Widow Mercedes and gave her a fancy make-over. The ring also burned demon Jolene in a way that seems similar to Peacemakers reaction when touched by a demon. Hmmmm
Black Badge Division:
- Supposedly a highly classified branch of the U.S. Marshalls, but as we according to Agent Moody BBD “isn’t a government agency, never was.”
- They disappeared from the Ghost River Triangle
- Early members include Robert Svane aka Bobo Del Rey.
- All the main characters except for Nicole have signed a contract in blood.
- Inconclusive as to what extent they still exist. Quinn, a friend of Dolls’ and fellow Black Badge agent wanted to take revenge on whatever is left of BBD HQ. Wynonna tells Quinn that if he ever returns to Purgatory that it better be because he recovered the blood contract her team signed. Quinn seems to agree to the mission mentioning paying “Mr. Moody” a visit.
Ok, friends, that’s all I have for this week. Feel free to discuss theories in the comments. If you think I got something totally wrong from the show that I should correct, please offer proof. The format for this is still a work in progress, if there is something you think should be taken out or something you think should be added, please let me know.
If you hated this, keep that to yourself, I’m sensitive. If you enjoyed it and would like me to continue, please let me know by liking, commenting, and sharing it on twitter.